Thirty two young people took part in two different treasure hunts at East Down Yacht Club on Sunday 29 August 2021. The Blue Peter V, Portaferry’s RNLI station’s Atlantic 85 RIB, visited to present the prize and to accept a donation from the young people. On the water the twenty sailors were split across Optimists, Toppers, Laser Picos and RS Fevas.
Ashore twelve young people rapidly searched the club’s nine acre site for clues. Afloat the mix of club and privately owned boats were supported by the club’s three RIBs. The treasure hunt required the sailors to gather up to nine clues from racing marks around Holm Bay, Island Taggart and Don O’Neil.
The eventual winners, sailing EDYC’s Topper T1:
- accurately collected all of their assigned clues
- were one of the first boats back and
- impressed the judges with their sailing, especially the style with which they returned to shore
The judges were also impressed by:
- the Pico and Topper sailors who decided to circumnavigate Island Taggart; really making the most of a chance to explore the fantastic surroundings of Stranford Lough
- the sailors, and support team, for EDYC’s RS Feva F6 who after encountering a problem with their kicker afloat, were able to improvise a solution and upon returning to shore effected a permanent repair; the judges felt this really personified the club’s self-help ethos
Some really embraced the Princesses and Pirates theme with tiaras, mustaches, flags and more on display.
The day would not have been possible without the help of many people. Our thanks go to:
- the safety boat crews
- the shore team
- the catering team
- the Commodore and his executive
- Liam Kelly, Event Director and
- especially the sailors and their parents for taking part